Thursday, January 22, 2009

Frozen Florida
















The Sunshine State does get freezing cold every once in a while. Waking up to a bitterly cold 26 degrees proves it! I grew up on the edge of the snow belt in Northeast Ohio, so I know cold. But having lived in Florida now for over 14 years, I'm not exactly used to it. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT complaining! I'd rather bundle up and be chilly over being so hot any day of the week!! What a wonderful, welcomed change.

Yesterday morning we had 28 degrees! The kids and I saw the most amazing sight on the way to school at 7:25am. Two smaller, young citrus groves (oranges, I think) were totally encased in ice as though a massive ice storm had rolled thru. The sprinklers were still spraying water over the icy landscape. And the early morning sun was just peeking over the horizion, illuminating the ice majestically. I'm not one for sparkly, shiny 'stuff', but this was just beautiful!

This morning we knew the forecasted low was to be a degree or two lower than yesterday, so I made sure I had my trusty camera on hand. Sure enough, on our way past the young groves, the early morning sunshine was dancing so clearly among the frozen branches. And the barbed-wire fence was adorned with a spectacular ice display!





On my quest for icy landscapes I was overjoyed to discover a pair of osprey perched high atop the frozen ground, sunning themselves no doubt to warm up. And look for their breakfast!!


I drive a Ford Crown Victoria, white in color, and for many areas of the country, particularly ours, those are what the police/sheriff departments use for their vehicles. Picture this - I'm pulled off the side of the road, parking lights illuminated. The road I'm on isn't a big road, and it actually has a couple tiny 'hills' on it. What was so funny to me was this - more than once I noticed cars on their hurried morning appointed rounds slow down apporaching my car! Think they were speeding?! One car actually stopped for a moment, then went on. That is one of the many reasons why I love my car! (The big engine is better!!)

For the second time ever in my life I have planted a veggie garden. This attempt has been rather fruitful thus far and I knew that my tomoato, pepper and pea plants were sensitive to freezing temps. Last night, as I've done before, I took extra care to cover them with blankies (even veggies need a blankie! LOL!) and I sprinkled the garden with mini Christmas lights to provide extra warmth.

To my horror this morning, well, I'll let the pictures to the talking:




The plants that were 'protected' were covered with ice. Pictrure a towel wrapped around a wire cage, soaked in dew, then frozen solid! I tapped then with my fingernail and it bounced off! CRAZY! I'm very hopefull that they'll survive, but I don't know yet. What doesn't survive, I'll replant! No reason to get all upset, won't do any good! I still love the cold!!

2 comments:

  1. Great icy shots, Laura. And the pair of osprey are beautiful. Hope the garden makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Adrienne. The garden...I'm pretty sure the tomatoes and bok choi didn't make it. We'll see about the others. What dies I'll replant! That is the glory of Florida, gardens all year!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive