Tuesday, May 19, 2009


They said, "I do" on May 31, 1939. She was 18 years old. He was 21. Today they are 88 and 91, respectively. Do you think they thought that 70 years later, they would still be together, happily married?! Seventy years! Oh, the life experiences they've lived thru!
If ever two became one, they are! They do everything together. As far as I know, they always have. Two peas in a pod. Bread and butter. Ying and yang. Ohh, maybe I shouldn't use that analogy. Grandma would think that is the devil! (LOL!)
In his (much!) younger years, Grandad was a little bit of a rebel. He can tell some pretty colorful tales of his youth. Grandma kept his feet on the ground. Perhaps a little to firm, but obviously it's worked out for them!!!
Grandma kept the cleanest house of any human on the planet! (My own mother is the only other one I would say that about, but please don't tell her I compared her to Grandma Dean! LOL!! Love ya, Mom!) I would always say, "...you could eat off their basement floor..." when describing their home to friends who hadn't been there. And up until just a couple of years ago, that was still true!!
Their house is just like stepping back in time...to the era of Ward and June Clever! The linoleum floors in the kitchen are speckled with gold and black spots on a white background. The kitchen walls are pale green. Yellow, white and orange curtains in the tiny window above the kitchen sink. The range is still avocado green. I have no clue how old it is, but I'm pretty sure it's older than me!! A few years ago when the fridge went out, I remember them looking in vain for an avocado replacement. What do you mean they don't make that color anymore?! (Too funny!!!)
The living room has that bright, kelly green carpet from the 70's. Clean as a whistle and finally showing it's age with wrinkles, because it can't be stretched anymore! Very simple, plain, unassuming decorations on the walls. Two very faded orange candles hang on either side of the clock (made my Uncle Bernard) in the corner. Been there a hundred years, as the saying goes!
My favorite place in the whole little house is the basement!!! No joke - the walls are painted Pepto-Bismol PINK and the floors and rafters are steel grey. When I was a kid I would spend many a Saturday night over there and would always inspect the basement for cobwebs. Grandad was responsible for their cleaning and I would be hard pressed to find even 1 in that whole basement!
Also in my favorite place is a set of cement 'washtubs' (as they call them). They are made of concrete. The coolest tubs on the planet. I still remember like it was yesterday Grandma giving me a bath in those things when I was very young. Couldn't use the bathtub upstairs, because that was just for looks! And I can still see Grandma every Saturday morning hanging her head in those tubs to wash her hair. Had to have clean hair for Sunday morning, ya know!
There are a trillion memories I have of this sweet couple who, despite their own short comings, are one amazing example of commitment, oneness, faithfulness, and love.
Words fail to adequately describe my admiration and love for them. And how very thankful I am to have Grandma and Grandad in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Laura. This is a beautiful post about your grandparents. Reading it made me miss my own grandparents. They met when they were 15 and got married when grandpa came home from the War. I wish they were still here, but I'm glad to know I'll see them in Heaven someday. What a legacy!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive