With very full bellies we continued our journey east to Roswell. You know, the alien town. Are they out there or are they not? What else would fuel tourism in a town in the middle of nowhere?! Roswell is a sleepy, old town that has turned everything green and alien-ish. (How about that for a word?! LOL!) Having previously agreeing to just stop for a photo op in Roswell, we just found a cool shaved ice shack and took the picture. (The Alien Museum looked via the internet to be just a collection of lots of documents and a few pictures. What kid is gonna stand and read all that?)
Onward south we traveled. A looong way south. I had forgotten how very far south Carlsbad was. But we had a pretty day and enjoyed the ever changing scenery.
The drive into Carlsbad Caverns was just beautiful. The hills with all their caves, cacti, and various other flora and fauna was really breathtaking. The sun was getting lower in the late afternoon sky and provided some great light and shadows.
We took the 750-ft plunge via the elevators into the caves. Nice and cool. And pretty dark. Very humid, too. What a surreal place! The kids' eyes were wide and in awe. I was working hard on telling my self, "...mind over matter...". If I would've let myself, I would have been pretty creeped out over our location. But once I started viewing the amazing landscape and spectacular formations through my camera lens, I was good. ( http://www.nps.gov/cave/index.htm )
We spent about an hour in the caves, wandering about it's paths. Aaron in particular really enjoyed it. The girls enjoyed it even more than I had anticipated. I hope they won't soon forget the magic and awesomeness of that fantastic place, if ever.
Back up on the 'ground' we went and had a great dinner picnic overlooking the valley below. There was a storm that provided some terrific lighting viewing, too.
Next on our agenda was the bats. The Mexican free-tail bats that come spiraling out of the caves every night about sunset in search of some food. Carlsbad Caverns has a great amphitheater that provides the perfect spot for watching this fascinating, natural nightly show. Years ago Butch, Jordan and I drove to Carlsbad, took the scenic route that turned a bit too scenic (aka got lost! LOL!) and we missed the caverns, but got to see the bats perform their magic! Mother Nature, however, had other plans for us and about 15 minutes before the program was to begin they called the program off due to lighting. Such a bummer!!!
Back to our cars we went. The sunshine was getting pretty low in the sky and the colors it flashed across the sky in between the storm clouds was just magical! What a magnificent background it would've made for those bats! In stead, we enjoyed it as we journeyed north and west back to Carrizozo.
Just when we thought our day was about done, we came upon the most wonderful group of bull elks on the side of the road east of Lincoln!! They were HUGE with their racks clothed in velvet! And I don't mean small racks! Thankfully they stayed on the side of the road and let us respectfully and safely pass them by. But what a sight!! Too bad it was dark. It would have been one amazing picture!
We made it back safe and sound to the Rainbow. By the light of the moon. A fun day!
Life is indeed sweet!!
No comments:
Post a Comment