Monday, October 4, 2010

I Have a "Smurf" That Plays Soccer

It's that soccer time of year again. Where I come from this time of year is filled with changing leaves, apple cider, Cider Spice Donuts from Buehler's (OH, I miss those things!), and cooler fall temperatures. Now those are just distant, fond memories.

Now I'm a wife, mother and friend in the HOT State of Florida. (We'll leave my feelings of Florida for another blog. It's NOT my little slice of heaven on earth!) Since it's too blasted hot to play soccer in the Spring/Summer time, they play soccer in the fall. When, in theory, it's cooler. If you call low 80's 'cooler', then I suppose that makes sense. Anywho....


Two of our three kiddos are playing soccer this season. Madison is patiently waiting for the softball season to roll around. Our local Youth Soccer Association has a beautiful field facility that is pretty impressive for our neck of the woods! They had a cool idea this season to make the team uniforms look like the World Cup Soccer teams. Aaron's team is 'Brazil' in all it's festive green, yellow and blue. Pretty fun colors! Maegan's team is 'Italy' and it's blue. From head to toe. (See pictures) She was initially given the wrong countries jersey's and they were blue and orange.
Being the Ohio State Buckeye fan that she is, Maegan could hardly bear the thought of having to wear the Gator's colors for soccer! Of course her sister, who is a Gator fan like her Daddy, thought this was too funny! Well, much to Maegan's delight, her teams colors were changed to all blue. None of that 'yucky' orange with it!
As she was dressing for her first game this last Saturday, she proudly announced, "I look like a Smurf!" Her jersey, shorts and even her socks were blue. And she had pulled the socks all the way up to her thighs (she is so tiny and her clothes are usually wayyy to big) and thought she was all that and a bag of chips! I love it!
Since Aaron had a game at the same time as Maegan in a different town, Butch wasn't able to watch her play. What a game he missed! Maegan's consists of quite a few girls who've never played organized soccer before and they are...well, they have a lot of skills to master! They are trying hard and have a very knowledgeable coach who is teaching them well.
Maegan might be tiny, but she can run like the wind! Last year a couple parents on her team gave her the nickname "Hot Rod." When she wants to, she can outrun practically anyone on the field. It's amazing! But she isn't very aggressive as far as taking the ball. Well, most of the time. And I'm ok with that. I'm not very competitive by nature. Maegan is kind and I'm ok if she isn't totally into 'taking' the ball with force from another player. Yes, playing is good, but there is a line, know what I mean?! Her coach this year is teaching the girls so many wonderful skills and techniques that were very evident in her first game. She played with 'gusto' and was amazing! In fact, shortly after the game started, she scored a goal!!! The team's first of the game and season!! Go Maegan!
The soccer season runs into mid December, so we will have plenty of opportunities to brag on our Smurf and brightly colored Aaron! I will post a pic or 2 of Aaron when I attend his game this weekend. And no doubt many more of the both of them throughout the season.
Thank you, God, for healthy children that can run and play!
Life and soccer season. Their pretty sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive