Monday, July 26, 2010

Bandelier in the Rain

Saturday after a scrumptious, filling HUGE breakfast at JoAnn's we headed to Bandelier National Monument to check out the ruins. It was very overcast with just a tiny bright spot here and there. Perfect, not hot, so we thought!

We really enjoyed our explore around the ruins, up and down the ladders, and in the caves. Amazing to be in the very homes the peoples of long ago. They must've been so very short! The doors and ceilings are so low. That is pretty low if I'M saying it! I'm not exactly tall! LOL!

As we started up the trail to the Alcove House there was some thunder rumbling in the distance. I had the 'gut thought' that I shouldn't go that way (Only a half mile trail) because I didn't have any way to keep my camera and CrackBerry dry in case of rain, but the group decided to go. I have been there before and was looking forward to another visit. Just the electronics. And I should've know better than to go unprepared. Oh well!!!

Just about the time we started to scale the first of the three TALL ladders up to the house, the rains started to fall. Most of our group kept going, but I decided to go back down to seek at least one of the kids' packs to keep the camera dry. It is so beautiful in the rain for the colors seems to just pop and come alive! Simply electrifying!

The rains came harder and after seeking shelter like a troll under the bridge for a short while, Mark, Amy, Matt, Mom and I took a run for it, got soaked, but it was still worth it! The rest of our crew sought refuge in one of the caves in the Alcove House and waited the rain out. They came back relatively dry. Lucky dogs!

After a picnic lunch at the Visitor's Center at Bandelier, we went into Los Alamos to the Science and History Museums. I knew there was lots of 'secret government stuff' going on in Los Alamos in the labs, but didn't really understand the history behind it. Now I do. Kinda. And really don't care much about it, if the truth be told. Yeah, yeah, it's necessary I suppose. Let's just leave it at this - been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Well, not the t-shirt part, but you get the drift?! LOL! (If you do care, here's their site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Alamos_National_Laboratory)

We left the museum and went back into Espanola for round 2 of the BEST tacos in the world!!! Mmmmmmmm! With full bellies, we headed back to our hotel and showered, put on clean jammies, and 'vegged' for the remainder of the evening. Yep, life is sweet.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive