Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sandia Crest and Tinkertown Museum

We made the 2 1/2 hour drive north to Albuquerque Saturday to hang out with Uncle Scott and Aunt Amy. What a fantastic day we had!!! We had an awesome lunch at Duran Station (I had the BEST, REAL taco salad of my LIFE!) then went back to Scott and Amy's to pick Amy up.



After Uncle Scott took us on a tour of "REI" (outdoor hiking retail mecca) we trekked up to Sandia Crest. No, we didn't actually WALK up, we DROVE up. The kids and I come from flat Flor-duh, so the climb woulda done us in, I am pretty sure! LOL



An absolutely magnificent day with low temps, clear air and blue skies was awaiting us high on the crest. 10,600+ feet up, I might remind you! We took two very short jaunts around the crest, then made our way back down the mountain to a wonderful treasure of a place, Tinkertown Museum.








This is ABQ from 10,000+ feet up!!







Tinkertown. A destination all in itself. As a teenager my folks took us there. And of course I didn't even begin to appreciate it's spectacular funkiness. (Is that a word?!) Creativity on steroids! Stuff, stuff and more stuff. Artfully arranged and displayed. I'm certain you could visit 100 times and always see something new. These pictures do it NO justice! Believe me.


Visit their website to learn more: http://tinkertown.com/


At the end of our tour we were very fortunate to meet and share a lovely converstion with the creator/artist's widow. What a sweet soul.













Ok, this particular sign was my favorite of the whole place. And I KNOW I didn't download it twice. I've tired with no avail to delete the second one. Blogspot, however, thinks I must display it twice. Ugh.
\






If you look carefully at this picture below, you'll see a female ruby throated hummingbird at the feeder!!!










After our fabulous Tinkertown adventure, we went back to Scott and Amy's and shared some awesome pizza, then made our way back to Zozo. A long day, but a fun, memorable day! Thanks Scott and Amy!!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive